Driving around small towns like Cinnaminson, Delran, Palmyra, Riverside and Moorestown I see people out walking all of the time. Riverton is another perfect town for taking a walk. There’s lots of sidewalk and some great scenery.
In early spring, you can observe the flowers like daffodils and forsythias. In the summer, you might want to stick with early morning or late evening when there’s a cool breeze. In the fall of course we can watch the colors. Winter is a bit more of a challenge. In the early season you might see some cool x-mas decorations and later on perhaps some snow patches. Every season has something to offer.
Why Walk? Like stretching, the advantages of walking are numerous.
- Number one is that it will help your heart. It’s an excellent aerobic exercise that will pick up your heart rate and improve your cardiovascular conditioning. My wife’s grandmother had no car and walked everywhere even to get groceries. She lived to 98 years old and I attribute it to all of the walking she did.
- The exercise you get from such an aerobic exercise will lower your blood sugar and could help to prevent diabetes from developing. If you are a borderline diabetic, you might be able to control your blood sugar by simply walking an hour a day.
- Walking raises your HDL’s. HDL stands for High Density Lipoproteins. These are the little vehicles that carry fat from your fat cells (and blood vessels) to your liver to be broken down for energy. They help rid excess fat while cleaning your blood vessels.
- Walking is a great stress reliever. It provides an outlet for the adrenaline that builds up in your system causing the feeling of stress. Eliminate the adrenaline and you can relax your muscles and your mind at the same time.
- Walking lowers your blood pressure. Adrenaline (or epinephrine) is a vasoconstrictor which means that when it is in your blood, your blood vessels constrict. This translates into high blood pressure. Walking lowers the pressure 10 points or more.
- Walking releases endorphins. In runners it gives you the “runner’s high”. Sort of your body’s natural pain reliever. The advantages over medical pain relievers are obvious. There are no bad side effects and getting addicted actually is a good thing.
Convinced?? Here at Bennett Family Chiropractic we stress the importance of exercise and natural health. Walking is an important part of the puzzle. If you are driving down Riverton Road, you are more likely to see me running than walking. That will have to be another blog, but for now get out and walk a little. Start small and remember that ANY exercise is better than NO exercise. If you have to just go to the end of the driveway to get things started. Tomorrow perhaps you can walk to your neighbor’s house and back (it’s a start!!!!).
Contact Us: If you have any questions regarding this blog don’t hesitate to contact Dr. George Bennett DC, 2193 Riverton Rd., Cinnaminson – 08077. Our contact information can be found right here in our website – drgeorgebennettdc.com under the heading “Contact”. Call us or write us and come back often as we will regularly try to update our blog. Thanks for visiting and see you soon.